Tim Bryce on business, management, politics, and this crazy ever changing world of ours.

Site Meter

• Community

MEDICINAL MARIJUANA AS A TROJAN HORSE

Posted by Tim Bryce on March 12, 2014

BRYCE ON DRUGS

- What is the real reason for legalizing marijuana? To relieve the pain of patients? Hardly.

The legalization of medicinal marijuana is being considered here in Florida. Other states have implemented it already, most notably Colorado. I have been polling various medical people about it. My dentist and dental hygienist sees nothing wrong with it, but my doctor friends are balking at adopting it, primarily because they know if it is legalized, they will be inundated with patients requesting it. Medicinal marijuana has also been approved in other countries, but it is far from being an international standard.

From what I have read, it certainly doesn’t cure anything, and only relieves nausea and vomiting for chemotherapy patients and people with AIDS. There is no evidence it relieves the symptoms of dementia, diabetes, epilepsy, or anything else; just the relief of nausea and vomiting. The FDA has not approved it, nor has the Institute of Medicine or the American Society of Addiction Medicine.

The real question, which proponents avoid, is whether this is nothing more than a prelude to recreational marijuana. In other words, if the public accepts medicinal marijuana, can the recreational version be far behind? Obviously not. I see no other reason for the sudden heightened interest.

Are there other medicines which can effectively deal with nausea and vomiting? Certainly. Marinol is one such product representing the legalized form of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), but I suspect there are more. As such, there is no true argument in favor of medicinal marijuana other than as the vanguard for the recreational version, the real goal.

The proponents of marijuana are counting on a naive public which can be easily manipulated. The medicinal version is nothing more than a Trojan Horse to implement the recreational version. If successful, a whole new industry will emerge with a revenue stream for the government in the form of taxes. This should be the real discussion as opposed to trying to slip something in the back door, but the marijuana proponents know they will lose such a debate which is why they are touting medicinal marijuana as something the public perceives as good, not evil.

One cannot help but wonder who is driving this campaign. The medical community or the pharmaceutical industry would seem to be the likely candidates, but they are not. Instead, it is a grassroots effort probably spearheaded by the pot heads of the 1960’s and 1970’s. Attorneys are on board as well because they also see it as another revenue stream from the drug related accidents which will likely ensue. As an aside, I find it amusing the people condemning tobacco are the same ones endorsing marijuana.

The real question though, will the Trojan Horse strategy work on a gullible public? In all likelihood, Yes. Next up, crack vending machines and drive-up heroine dispensers.

Copyright © 2014 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

NEXT UP:  PARANOID PARENTING – Who’s in charge? The parent or the child?

LAST TIME:  ITALIAN RED SAUCE – IT’S PASSIONATE  – Want to start an argument between two or more Italians? Ask them who makes the best red sauce.

Listen to Tim on WJTN-AM (News Talk 1240) “The Town Square” with host John Siggins (Mon, Wed, Fri, 12:30-3:00pm Eastern), KIT-AM 1280 in Yakima, Washington “The Morning News” with hosts Dave Ettl & Lance Tormey (weekdays. 6:00-9:00am Pacific), and KGAB-AM (650) of Cheyenne, Wyoming. Or tune-in to Tim’s channel on YouTube.

23 Responses to “MEDICINAL MARIJUANA AS A TROJAN HORSE”

1. Pmmps said

I do not understand why the federal government fails to enforce its DEA laws. I feel the real Trojan Horse is Obama.

On March 12, 2014 6:00:25 AM THE BRYCE IS RIGHT!

A K.S. of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma wrote…

“Well Tim, isn’t this like so many other things that have been packaged as Trojan Horses? I am sure if we just do a little research, we can find plenty of “Trojan Horses” in our health care, government policies, etc. The idea goes as far back as – – – – – – the Romans!”

A B.H. of Boulder, Colorado wrote…

“The biggest concerns here from the law enforcement types are HOW do you PROVE driving while under the influence charges involving Marijuana? It’s not like alcohol where you can blow into a tube and get an indicator of whether the person has too much alcohol in their bloodstream. There’s no clear agreement on just how many joints you can smoke before you become “impaired”. And, right now, the only way officers have to indicate the problem is PHYSICAL examination – looking at the eyes, listening to the speech, watching the body movements. And then, the charge is “suspicion of DUI” because they don’t blow an alcohol over-limit. I suspect over time they’ll figure something out. But, just like texting and driving, you can make it “illegal” but people are still doing it and causing accidents. People are still driving drunk, and getting away with it. You (the un-impaired driver) are the one that has to be ultra-aware and cautious and try to avoid ANY suspicious behavior from drivers around you. In other words, we are talking DEFENSIVE driving, not just driving aware any more. And, when you throw in weather and construction projects all over the country at the same time, the mix is just a problem waiting to happen.

I suspect you are right – LAWYERS are rubbing their hands about the notion of defending people accused of DUI with Marijuana, because there’s just no effective way to PROVE it at the moment.”

An M.E. from Herriman, Utah wrote…

“I’ve seen great results from mj use for epilepsy with my friends who used it illegally, but for medical use. And it certainly has a better effect than most drugs that are little pills. So yeah, its safer than tobacco. I have never used it, but if I had a disease that it would treat, I might. It’s powerful medicine. “

5. shak4u said

OK, Tim. I think this is the 1st time I have to somewhat disagree with you. Not many people that I know, know what it is like to live 24/7 in pain. I’m not talking about a slight pain, but pain that sometimes just wants to make you give up. Before going into Morton Plant to have my 2nd back surgery, this time on all 5 lower lumbars, 6 months before moving to the DR, I was on Oxycodone for almost a year, just to be able to get 4-5 hours sleep at night. At this point, I decided to have that surgery. Everything went well and I was now able to walk and enjoy life, but as soon as I sat down or lied down to sleep at night, I would still get an unbelievable pain in my right ankle and side of that foot. So, staid on Oxycodone for another 3 months. Started smoking marijuana and got off the Oxy (with great difficulty) and the MJ was able to do the same thing and even better when I would smoke 10 minutes before going to bed. MJ would allow me to sleep 5-7 hours without pain. When we moved to the DR, I was able to purchase here, although illegal here also, and continued until I would quit 6 weeks before having to take a physical for renewing our legal residency, as they take blood tests for drugs. Never a problem quitting and no desire for it, as I then used Oxy, which I bought along with me when we moved, to help with the pain. When I ran out of Oxy, as you can not get anything like that here, I went back to MJ until I was able to go on Pregabelina, which is not an opiate, but does get rid of about 90% of the pain. I have not gone back to MJ, because they are really doing crack downs on drugs here. My point is, that most Drs do not know sh– about MJ and want to keep their patients on opiates. Why do drug dealers call on Drs everyday and leave their bag full of free samples with the Drs?? Yes, for weak people, MJ could be a prelude to other drugs, and yes many take it to just get high and forget. But, what about the millions like me? Should they continue on the Oxys of this world, or just give up life, because the pain is so unbearable? What about the millions upon millions of alcoholics in the US. Why are they drinking? Many to forget. I can guarantee you one thing, you will never see someone on MJ commit a murder and be violent. It just doesn’t react in the brain that way. How many hundreds of thousands are killed and or maimed by drunk drivers every year? Not to mention the health problems (heart disease, liver disease, and even cancer). Personally, I think alcohol should be banned and MJ allowed. I would almost bet the farm that murders and fights among husbands an wives and in bars would be drastically reduced if alcohol were banned . So, although you do have some good points, I have to disagree on some others. Pass medical MJ and have the Docs. be very strict on how they dispense that. A lot more strict than they are in dispensing the Oxys and other similar opiates which can cause drastic withdraw symptoms. Just saying. Regards, Walt

• Tim Bryce said

Walt – Do you really believe the people pushing legalization really care about its medicinal value? I do not. It is just a means to sneak recreational marijuana in the back door, and this is what the argument should be about, not on its minimal medicinal effects. All the Best, Tim

6. All you have to do is read about the stats in Colorado and the stats aren’t good. There has been a dramatic increase in impaired driving accidents due to marijuana use. Plus, I know prolonged use – as in recreational – of sucking that smoke into your lungs where you have to “hold” the smoke for the better high – can’t be good. It’s just plain logic to know this isn’t a good thing. Very good article Tim because your concerns are quite valid.

7. sirchristiantheheck@reagan.com said

That HAS to be the only viable explanation.It’s a BAD thing for our country and the children in particular.

An M.M. of Cincinnati, Ohio wrote…

“Tim, I don’t know why (other than because of conservative predisposition) you would say definitively of medical marijuana that “it certainly doesn’t cure anything.” While that may be true of most strains of marijuana and most illnesses, all you have to do is Google “children saved by medical marijuana” to find numerous differing reports by Dr. Sanjay Gupta, other doctors and parents of children whose children suffered uncontrollable seizures untreatable by conventional drugs and methods. If I recall correctly, the CBS Evening News had a report just last week documenting one such case as an example. If you were the father of such a child, I’m sure you would think twice (and then some) before closing your mind to thoroughly pursuing this life-saving possibility, Trojan Horse or not.”

A D.F. of New York City wrote…

“Tim you may well be right and I don’t advocate legalizing drugs as I have no idea what the effect would be. But if a certain percentage of the society like let’s speculate and say as little as 20% smokes pot, what can the rest of society do to stop them?

This may just be pushed by the people who smoke the stuff and the people who want to make money with it. This may be the same population come to think of it.

BTW I never smoked pot nor do I advocate legalizing drugs. I live in New York so my world may be different than everyone else’s but making things illegal only seems to jack up the price. You can get whatever you want here all you need is the money.”

An S.G. of Wisconsin wrote…

“Marijuana does have some serious drawbacks not talked about. I smoked mj for about 25 years of my life. I am in favor of legalizing it simply because I think it is the lesser of two evils. Publishing extensive studies done on various aspects of the drug could prove helpful in giving young people more information to base their decision on to smoke or not.

My own experience. As a 6th grader I was considered a bit of a prodigy in many areas, statistics, math, and certain areas of social studies. I found pot that summer and by the eighth grade I was barely passing anything. I ended up with a factory job and then becoming a mechanic and making a decent living. I have no doubts that I could have done much better had I been motivated, the pot destroyed my previously high level of motivation. I quit smoking pot at 40 and by forty five I had my desire to learn and create return. I was also divorced with pot being named the chief reason why. I never had any auto accidents because I avoided driving. On the occasions when I had to drive I had way too many close calls. I was never a heavy pot smoker! My habit stayed the same throughout my 25 years of use. A few hits in the morning and a few hits at night. 1/4 oz pot would last me for a couple of months.

I say legalize but get started on some serious studies and make these studies available to the public, encourage feedback from the public about their own use and the problems they have with users.”

11. […] MEDICINAL MARIJUANA AS A TROJAN HORSE […]

A J.F. of St. Petersburg, Florida wrote…

“Excellent article.

There is a wealth of information on this subject at DFAF.org.
    Educating the public will be the biggest challenge. It is starting to come up on people’s “radar”. Thanks for speaking out on this.”

13. Syphan said

Hey Tim,

I stumbled upon this post while researching a particular strain called Trojan and decided to give it a read. I am a freelance writer that currently writes articles about cannabis, helping to develop a large strain/dispensary database in an effort to help patients find their medication. Unfortunately, I can only say I am rather disappointed. While I have no doubt that there are indeed people who are pushing medical marijuana as a “Trojan Horse”; there are so many that find cannabis to be effective at treating symptoms of actual disorders and diseases. Cannabis can produce a wide variety of effects, many of which patients find beneficial.

Studies have shown, as far back as 1974, that various cannabinoids can have anti-cancer properties and effects. The most recent studies, which actually proved how and why, were done in Madrid. Other studies that tried to link the smoking of cannabis with lung damage and cancer, since cannabis can have much more tar and carcinogens, found no such link. Now, I am an educated advocate for the legalization of cannabis, both medicinally and recreationally. I am not saying that the plant is completely harmless, smoking anything is not harmless but there are also other forms of ingesting cannabis.

As for Marinol, I find it amusing that you mention this drug but not the side effects, which include not only seizures but stomach pains, nausea and vomiting! The very things the drug is designed to treat and those are only some of the side effects.

When cannabis was listed as a Schedule 1 drug it was done so, not because of the information about it but the lack of such information.

Dr. Roger O. Egeberg, the Assistant Secretary of Health in 1970, wrote a letter which recommended that cannabis be listed as a Schedule 1 drug:

“Since there is still a considerable void in our knowledge of the plant and effects of the active drug contained in it, our recommendation is that marijuana be retained within schedule 1 at least until the completion of certain studies now underway to resolve the issue.”

Ever since that letter, the plant has been listed as a Schedule 1 drug because it has “no medicinal value” and is “highly addictive” and yet because of the scheduling of the plant true testing cannot be done. I would also like to note that the U.S. government that denies it has any medicinal value is also the owner of a patent on the anti-oxidant and neuro-protective properties of the plant. The patent number is 6,630,507.

Finally, the last thing I want to pose is… If a legal adult wishes to engage in cannabis use, what right do you or I have to stop them? What right does the government have to make that choice for them? Our founding fathers created this land to escape an overbearing government and create a land where freedom reigns…. It has been proven that one cannot overdose on cannabis, while some pre-existing issues or conditions may make smoking cannabis potentially fatal. But in the US someone dies from prescription drugs every 19 minutes. And then such things as alcohol and tobacco are legal and they kill hundreds of thousands a year. Cannabis is potentially addictive, about nine to ten percent of users develop a dependence, compared to the 20 percent of cocaine users, 25 percent of heroin users and 30 percent of tobacco users.

The shape of things to come?

Chris Christie: I’m not legalizing marijuana

Casual marijuana use linked to brain changes

File this under, “Here we go…”
    Colorado 4th-Graders Caught Selling Pot

Marijuana Use May Increase Heart Complications in Young Middle Aged Adults

Study: Marijuana Use May Increase Risk of Nicotine Addiction

Debunking 7 Myths Arguing It’s Fine

21. […] began touting the virtues of Medicinal Marijuana. In a recent post, I mentioned it has questionable medicinal benefits. Shortly afterwards, a research report was published by Northwestern University and Massachusetts […]