THE NEED FOR CONCEALED WEAPONS CLASSES

Posted by Tim Bryce on June 13, 2014

BRYCE ON SOCIETY

– Why it should be considered mandatory to attend such classes.

Let me begin by saying I believe everyone in the country should attend a concealed weapons class. Whether you are a pro or anti gun advocate, every citizen should attend such a class, be it privately taught, in schools, or some other venue. If you are unfamiliar with the class, let me clear up an important misconception, it is NOT about gun advocacy, it is about gun safety. Although such classes vary from state to state, it is essentially used to teach the fundamentals of how a gun is used, how it should be stored and maintained, and all of the pertinent laws associated with it.

I took such a class a few years ago here in Florida and was very much impressed by the knowledge and professionalism of the instructor. Again, this was less about the actual firing of the weapon as opposed to a description of the various types of weapons (e.g., rifle, shotgun, semiautomatic, single and double action revolvers, etc.), what their capabilities are, gun safety “do’s and do nots,” and what to do in an emergency. For example, in my class, the instructor gave some pragmatic advice as to what to do if someone breaks into your home while you are there. It wasn’t so much about shooting the suspect as opposed to contacting the authorities and protecting yourself. Overall, I found the class to be equally useful for those who were already knowledgeable about guns as well as the uninitiated.

While some people see gun control as the answer to solving weapons accidents and assaults, I believe an educated populace would save more lives and result in fewer victims whether it is due to an accident or premeditated assault. An informed public is less likely to become a victim and more likely to survive a shooting situation. Anyone who has attended such a class would probably agree, education is the key. Everyone from Middle School onward should be taught the lessons of gun safety. Even children in Elementary grades should learn some of the basics.

Again, let me be clear, this is not about gun advocacy or how to hurt anyone, and it certainly is not intended to glamorize guns, which we will leave to Hollywood. Instead, it is about safety and knowing what to do in dangerous situations. It is about survival.

Copyright © 2014 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

NEXT UP:  LOGICAL SYSTEMS – Provides independence and the ability to migrate from one computer platform to another.

LAST TIME:  WHERE DO WE GET OUR NEWS FROM?  – Is it about accessibility or reliability? Or does anyone care anymore?

Listen to Tim on WJTN-AM (News Talk 1240) “The Town Square” with host John Siggins (Mon, Wed, Fri, 12:30-3:00pm Eastern), and KIT-AM 1280 in Yakima, Washington “The Morning News” with hosts Dave Ettl & Lance Tormey (weekdays. 6:00-9:00am Pacific). Or tune-in to Tim’s channel on YouTube.

7 Responses to “THE NEED FOR CONCEALED WEAPONS CLASSES”

A J.W. of Clearwater, Florida wrote…

“Your article on gun control–short and sweet. I like it.”

2. Wayne said

Tim, I could agree with you more. I took a CHL class a few years back and that was exactly my experience. Contrary to popular belief, this is not training in how to shoot someone and get away with it. Handgun safety, just like swimming, is a necessary knowledge in life and should be pursued just as much as someone might pursue a CPR course of training. It was also my observation that my instructor was on the “look out” for any “cowboys” who were just there to gain approval to flash a gun around and look for an excuse to use it. I left the course very aware that the actual use of a handgun was a last resort and not a first one when it came to finding a resolution. At the same time, it was also clear that having a handgun available may be the only possible way to save your life or that of a family member in the alloted time. Let me also say here that as much as I promote the concealed handgun, I am totally against open-carry which is being promoted quite heavily now by certain groups in many states. if you want to see the “cowboys”, look for the “open[-carry” proponents. Concealed weapons keep the bad folks guessing where as open-carry simply identifies the guys with the guns that you have to defeat first–a target on your back. Good write! ~ WB

A B.H. of Boulder, Colorado wrote…

“In addition to the classroom education, another aspect of the CCW classes is SAFETY in HANDLING and USING the weapon. If a person has never fired a weapon, they don’t know what it will feel like when they actually have to do so.

When I was a LT, I used to do inspections of the custodians of cryptographic keying materials. Understand something, NO ONE wanted to be a custodian of this material because mistakes are not acceptable, and multiple mistakes result in a short career, or perhaps some time at Portsmouth Naval Prison contemplating your navel and making little rocks out of big rocks.

Anyway, I went to this command which was totally underground in a sand dune covered bunker. The custodian was a new female ensign just out of OCS. She must have been all of 5’0” and maybe 100 pounds at the outside. Inside the vault where the material was kept, I noticed a 1911 .45 pistol on the shelf, cocked and loaded. I asked WHY she had that weapon inside a steel vault in that condition. She said she was told that it had to be that way to protect the keying materials. I asked her if she’d thought about what would happen if she fired that weapon INSIDE the vault. Nope.

I asked her if she was “qualified” with the .45. She didn’t understand. The navy had a course they taught for everyone that was required to be armed with a .45 – she hadn’t been sent. I asked her is she’d ever fired a .45 – nope. I asked if she’d ever fired ANY weapon – nope. I asked if she’d ever SEEN a .45 being fired – nope. I reached up to the weapon, ejected the clip, pulled the slide back to eject the round, and left the weapon with the slide back and put it on the shelf – and continued my inspection.

Now, the ONLY significant thing I made note of was that the CO (a commander) had armed one of his officers without proper training, and I laced into him at the outbrief for even considering doing something like that. Normally, LT’s do not get to do that with CDR’s, but as the inspecting officer, and involving something that could land both the custodian AND the CO in jail for problems, I got away with it.

My dad had a gun, but I never knew WHERE it was when I was growing up, and he made sure I took NRA sponsored safety and marksmanship classes – and although I wasn’t on the team, my high school had a competition rifle team (it was an interscholastic sport) that practiced on a range INSIDE the school in the basement. They used .22 rifles. I doubt seriously that ANY school today will have such a team.”

A U.V. of Largo, Florida wrote…

“I agree. I think it’s important to know. Look at Israel, bet their young’uns are rifle-ready. Have less accidents too.”

A J.W. of Palm Harbor wrote…

“Just wanted you to know that your article regarding Carry Concealed Weapons Class was RIGHT ON. Keep up the good work.”

6. sirchristiantheheck@reagan.com said

AMEN ……………………….again.

7. The gun handling classes are needed for the people who are not very adept at them. They must know the safe handling of the firearms.